Capitola, CA – April 6, 2021 – Bay Federal Credit Union has announced the winners of its annual financial education scholarships. Their Member Education Scholarship recipients are Daniela Arreola, Jakelin Escobar, and Michell Roldan. The “Mac McCormac” Employee Scholarship winners are Micaela DiPiero, Ana Gonzalez Torres, and Albert Vizcarra. All scholarship winners were honored at Bay Federal’s Annual Meeting on March 30, 2021.
Since 2008, Bay Federal has awarded 64 scholarships totaling $561,500 to students who are pursuing a degree or certificate program at any college, university, or professional school. The Mac McCormac Scholarship, established in 2012 in honor of the Credit Union’s first employee, provides college financial assistance to Bay Federal employees.
Carrie Birkhofer, Bay Federal Credit Union’s President and CEO, presented information on each scholarship winner during the virtual meeting.
“Despite incredible challenges in the world today, these students have continued to focus on a brighter future,” said Ms. Birkhofer. “I am proud to honor their perseverance and commitment to making a real difference in the world.”
Applicants were required to submit essays explaining how their feelings and perspectives about money had changed during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many applicants described gaining a better understanding of the need to save money and reduce frivolous spending, and expounded on the importance of shopping locally to preserve jobs in our community. Several expressed concerns about “essential workers” being forced to risk their lives to support themselves and their families, while others focused on the widening wealth gap in the United States.
Who are the Member Education Scholarship winners?
- Daniela Arreola is pursuing an Associate’s Degree at Hartnell College. Her long-term goal is to complete a four-year nursing degree and become a registered nurse.
- Michell Roldan graduated from Cabrillo College with three Associate’s degrees before transferring to California State University Monterey Bay, where she is currently majoring in psychology.
- Jackie Escobar is working towards an Associate’s degree in Kinesiology at Cabrillo College, after which she plans to enroll in medical school to become a doctor.
Who are the Mac McCormac Employee Scholarship winners?
- Micaela DiPiero is an undergraduate at the University of Arizona Global Campus, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Communications. Micaela is Bay Federal’s Service Manager at their River Street Branch in Santa Cruz.
- Ana Gonzalez Torres, a student at Cabrillo College, plans to enroll in Cabrillo’s nursing program, and then transfer to a four-year school to complete a Bachelor’s of Science degree. Ana is Bay Federal’s Member Services Specialist at their Aptos Branch.
- Albert Vizcarra, also a Cabrillo College student, is completing the necessary coursework for transfer to California State University Monterey Bay, where he plans to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management. Albert is Bay Federal’s Service Manager at their Salinas Branch.
About Bay Federal Credit Union
Bay Federal is a full-service, not-for-profit financial institution that serves 80,000 members and 2,400 local businesses throughout Santa Cruz, San Benito, and Monterey counties. With more than $1.4 billion in assets, Bay Federal Credit Union is the largest member-owned financial institution in Santa Cruz County, serving its members and the community since 1957. Bay Federal Credit Union has an award-winning employee volunteer program in which employees have given their own money and volunteer for numerous local schools, nonprofit organizations, and community events each year.
Contact: Amy Ivey, VP Marketing and Development
Bay Federal Credit Union